Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beating Distraction - Five Ways to Make Your Computer Disappear

Do you remember when owning a computer was a novelty? Few of your neighbors had one, and they were very expensive. Being a computer owner was like being a member of an elite club. Nothing lent an air of up-to-date sophistication like computer ownership. Those were heady days, with more time spent on configuration and learning DOS commands than actually using the computer in a productive way.

That excitement was good. Most of us learned how to do things, not because we needed to, but simply because we could, because it was there. You could be a User, or better yet, you could be a Power User! The major difference between the two is that while the Power User knew everything about how to run a program, the User actually ran it.

At some point, the novelty needs to wear off enough that you can actually sit at your computer, and work, without being distracted by all the "things it can do". I am convinced that the most productive computer users are the ones who need to be shown how to do things-they learn what they need to know, and then get to work! These users get a lot done, but they really need us Power Users to get them through rough spots. As a Power User, I see myself as having a critical role in my place of employment. Often my biggest contributions are made by helping others do a better job by teaching them shortcuts, or showing them a better way. Sometimes I seem to waste time because I cannot run a program without finding out all that it can do. What I've learned is that it is only a waste of time if I keep my learning to myself-as I share with other workers I am actually doing my job!

What about when you really have to get something done? Here are five ways to make your computer "disappear":

Manage your workspace Rearrange your office or your desk so that the computer screen is not the main focal point. All too often we arrange things so that working on the computer is the default position. If you have enough room, keep the main part of your desk clear, even if it means moving your monitor out of the way when you don't need to look at it.
Work with an uncluttered screen Whether you use Windows, OSX, or Linux, there is a lot of eye-candy on today's desktops. Turn off the widgets and the special effects. Set your background to a simple colour rather than an inspiring photo or fancy graphic. It is also a good idea to remove as many shortcuts from your desktop as possible, especially shortcuts for games or social-networking sites. Clean up and minimize program menus and toolbars. The "ribbon" menu in Microsoft Word 2007 is really cool, but it also screams "look at me! see what I can do! Click me!" If you are not working on formatting, hide the ribbon and just write!
Focus on content instead of presentation With all the power of productivity software, there is always the temptation to format "on the fly." Sometimes it is best to choose a simple font, like Courier, tell yourself that you will make it look pretty after the writing is done, and focus only on the real task, which is to deal with the content.
Try using paper and pencil Computers make it too easy to fix mistakes, so when we write we are constantly editing and proofreading at the same time. Working with pencil and paper is helpful because editing is more difficult. The end result is that the flow of ideas often suffers from fewer interruptions when writing by hand.
Get excited about your work If you are like me, the sheer joy of working with computer technology may never completely wear off. Frankly, I would not want it to! However, if I am faced with the choice between playing with the computer (which I love to do) or doing some work that I really do not enjoy, the playing will win out every time. Look for reasons to get more into your content work and you will discover that the distracting power of your computer will no longer rule you.

No comments:

Post a Comment